COVID-19 At-Home Rapid Tests
Feb. 15, 2022
Every home in the U.S. is now eligible to order up to four free at-home COVID-19 self-test kits from the federal government. For information on how to order, visit covidtests.gov.
Effective Jan. 15, a new federal directive requires healthcare plans to cover the cost of over-the-counter COVID-19 tests approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Read answers to frequently asked questions for direct instructions on how to order your COVID-19 at-home rapid test per your medical insurance.
Message from Mike Petters: Vaccine Mandate Update
Nov. 16, 2021
As you are aware, implementation of the federal government’s vaccine mandate has been a complex undertaking. Thank you for your patience in recent weeks as the situation has evolved.
Message from Mike Petters: Vaccine Mandate Flexibility
Nov. 4, 2021
Today the federal government pushed out the vaccination deadline for federal contractors from Dec. 8 to Jan. 4. If you’re among the roughly 75% of HII employees who are already fully or partially vaccinated against COVID-19, thank you.
Message from Chris Kastner: Vaccine Mandate Compliance
Sept. 29, 2021
As you read in Mike Petters’ message to all HII employees last week, our federal customer has announced that it will be a requirement of our contracts for all employees and contractors to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by December 8, 2021. We recognize that this is a significant new requirement of each of us as individuals, and of all of us as one team.
Message from Mike Petters: Updated Vaccine Mandate Guidance
Today, the Safer Federal Workforce Task Force issued updated guidance as well as an explanation of protocols for federal contractors to comply with the COVID-19 vaccination mandate issued on Sept. 9, 2021.
Message from Mike Petters: Regarding President Biden’s Vaccine Mandate
Sept. 9, 2021
On Thursday evening, President Joe Biden announced a plan that aims to slow the spread of COVID-19 cases nationwide, including a mandate that all federal workers and all federal contractors be vaccinated.
Message From Bill Ermatinger: Update Regarding CDC Mask Guidelines
July 29, 2021
We are continuing to monitor the rising number of COVID-19 cases and the spread of the delta variant nationwide. And like the communities we live in, we too are experiencing an increase of positive cases in our company.
Message From Bill Ermatinger: Update To HII’s COVID-19 Waiting Period Policy
July 23, 2021
Since March 2020, we have monitored and adjusted HII’s COVID-19 response efforts to keep our employees safe and support our important mission for our government and industry customers.
The increase in vaccinations and decrease in COVID-19 cases this spring led to nationwide easing of public health restrictions. In turn, on June 1, HII ended the paid waiting period for employees who test positive for COVID-19.
Message From Karen Velkey: HII Benefits and Support For Reentry Anxiety
May 24, 12:30 p.m.
With COVID-19 restrictions relaxing nationwide, individuals may experience what mental health professionals call reentry anxiety. If you are feeling stressed or anxious about returning to pre-pandemic routines, know that you are not alone, and help is available.
Ingalls Shipbuilding: Updated Mask Guidance
May 17, 9 a.m.
Consistent with HII’s recent announcement, Ingalls will no longer ask that fully vaccinated employees wear face masks when they are unable to socially distance, unless they live in a state or locale that requires it. This aligns with updated guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the States of Mississippi and Louisiana.
This is promising news and a sign that COVID-19 safety protocols and lifestyle changes have paid real dividends, and we can all look forward to resuming our normal routines. We understand some people may be uncomfortable going mask free, and employees who are fully vaccinated can continue to wear masks if they desire.
Memo from Bill Ermatinger: COVID-19 Mask Guidance
May 16, 11:45 a.m.
To align with guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Huntington Ingalls Industries will no longer require fully vaccinated employees to wear face masks, unless they live in a state or locale that requires it.
Unvaccinated employees and those going through the vaccination process must still wear a face covering while at work and are subject to discipline, up to and including termination, if found to be unvaccinated and not wearing a mask and unable to maintain social distance.
Memo from Bill Ermatinger: COVID-19 Vaccine Company Travel Policy
April 29, 9:15 a.m.
To help minimize COVID-19 risk as employees return to work, HII leadership has updated the company’s travel policy. Effective June 1, 2021 (July 6 for Technical Solutions), employees who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 will be prohibited from air travel for company business.
Memo From Bill Ermatinger: Return To Work Safety Policy Update for Corporate Employees
April 23, 2 p.m.
Corporate employees who work in VASCIC should plan to return to the office no later than June 1, and employees who are fully vaccinated (with two weeks past their second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines or two weeks past the single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine) are encouraged to return to the office prior to June 1.
COVID-19 Transition: NNS to Assess Remote Work Arrangements
April 16, 3:30 p.m.
Susan Jacobs, vice president of Human Resources and Administration, sent a message to employees regarding work from home arrangements. “Over the next several weeks, supervisors will assess job functions that have been performed remotely,” she wrote. “In cases where remote work arrangements have hindered business operations, managers have the discretion and authority to require that shipbuilders return to working onsite. ”
Memo From Bill Ermatinger: COVID Vaccine Self-Reporting
April 7, 2 p.m.
As we continue to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, the increased availability of COVID-19 vaccines provides us an offensive tool to reduce the spread of the virus and its impact on our communities, both at home and at work. We ask that you self-report if you received your COVID-19 vaccine in the community.
Letter from Mike Petters on COVID-19 Vaccines
April 5, 10 a.m.
“I recently received my second COVID-19 vaccine shot at the old Apprentice School gym, in Newport News, Virginia. The process was smooth and efficient, and I was encouraged to see so many other HII employees also getting the vaccine.”
Dr. Nehemiah Thrash
Dr. Nehemiah Thrash is a Hospitalist at Riverside Hospital in Newport News, Virginia. He says, when considering whether to get a COVID-19 vaccine, it’s important to understand the risks of not getting a vaccine.
- April 15: Dr. Belinda Alexander on COVID-19 vaccines | Read the video transcript
- Feb. 5: Vaccinations begin at Newport News Shipbuilding
- Jan. 22: NNS COVID-19 vaccination update
- Jan. 14: Mike Petters on the COVID-19 Vaccine | Read the transcript
- Dec. 7: Staying Safe During the Holidays | Read the transcript
- Dec. 7: COVID-19 Survivor’s Story
- Aug 28: Staying Safe While Celebrating Labor Day | Read the transcript
- Aug 11: Meet Dr. Vijay Subramanium | Read the transcript
- July 11: COVID-19 Survivor’s Story | Read the transcript
- June 19: Focus NNS: Coronavirus Discussion
- May 17: Cleaning Between Shifts at NNS | Read the transcript
- May 7: Message from Mike Petters | Read the transcript
- May 5: Temperature Screenings Begin at NNS | Read transcript
- April 29: Temperature Screenings at NNS: What to Expect | Read the FAQs | Read transcript
- April 22: PPE Efforts at Newport News Shipbuilding | Read transcript
- April 15: Mike Petters Discusses COVID-19, Supply Chains with CNBC
- April 13: Hand Sanitizer For Shipbuilders | Read transcript
- April 7: NNS Sail Loft Team Answering the Call | Read transcript
- April 5: Message From HII President and CEO Mike Petters | Read transcript
- April 3: Ask Andy Green – Powering through COVID-19 | Read transcript
- April 1: Focus NNS: Resources Available to Employees | Read transcript
- March 31: Ingalls Shipbuilding Daily Cleaning Report Gallery
- March 29: Message from HII President and CEO Mike Petters | Read transcript
- March 26: NNS Social Distancing Plans, Leave Options and Realities of a Shipyard Shutdown | Read transcript
- March 25: Message From Andy Green to Technical Solutions Employees | Read transcript
- March 22: Message from HII President and CEO Mike Petters | Read transcript
- March 22: Weekend Cleaning at Newport News Shipbuilding | Read transcript
- March 20: Message From Jennifer Boykin to NNS Workforce: “Our Work is Mission Essential” | Read transcript
- March 19: Sanitization Efforts at NNS | Read transcript
- March 16: NNS President and Medical Director Discuss Coronavirus Response | Read transcript
- March 16: Message from HII President and CEO Mike Petters | Read transcript
- COVID-19 Vaccine Information Updated April 27, 2021
- Staying Safe During the Spring Holidays Updated March 29, 2021
- Staying Safe During the Holiday Season Updated Dec. 7, 2020
- Working From Home: Router Security Tips Updated July 16, 2020
- COVID-19 Benefits Updates Updated May 21, 2020
- Mental Health Resources for Employees and Families Updated May 19, 2020
- Health Care Options For HII Employees and Families Updated May 5, 2020
- Avoiding 401(K) Scam Calls Updated April 29, 2020
- Family Activity Pack, courtesy of Mercer Updated April 23, 2020
- Cleaning Your Electronic Devices Updated March 25, 2020
- Avoiding Scams in Times of Pandemic Updated March 22, 2020
- COVID-19 FAQs Updated March 17, 2020
Division COVID-19 Company Information
- Ingalls Shipbuilding: COVID-19 Information page | Confirmed Cases Updated daily | Liberal Leave FAQ April 4, 2020
- Newport News Shipbuilding: COVID-19 Information page | Confirmed Cases Updated daily
- Technical Solutions: COVID-19 Information page
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) COVID-19 Portal
- CDC: COVID-19 Disease Symptoms and Self-Checker
- CDC: Get Your Household Ready
- CDC: Protect Your Family
- CDC: Protect Your Home
- World Health Organization