We recognize and celebrate diversity and inclusion in our workforce and our communities. From national leaders to our employees, we believe everyone plays a vital role in embracing diversity and fostering inclusion.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (Third Monday in January)
- African American History Month (February)
- Women’s History Month (March)
- Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month (May)
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Pride Month (June)
- Hispanic Heritage Month (mid-September to mid-October)
- National Disability Employment Awareness Month (October)
- Native American Heritage Month (November)
- Veteran’s Day (November 11)
Ingalls Shipbuilding MLK Tribute
NNS Virtual MLK Day Celebration
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Newport News Shipbuilding commemorated the holiday virtually in 2021.
Edmond Hughes, vice president, human resources and administration at Ingalls Shipbuilding was a session speaker at the 2019 Catalyst Conference, held in March. Pictured, left to right, are Amelia Costigan and Emily Zuckerman of Catalyst, Edmond Hughes, Victoria Moore of PNC, Lori Trawinski, Marissa Malta, and Alicia Wallace of AARP.
Ingalls Celebrates Martin Luther King, Jr.
AASA at Ingalls hosted a MLK celebration with keynote speaker Attorney Constance Slaughter-Harvey, the first African American female to receive a law degree from the University of Mississippi.
Five Shipyards, One Purpose
More than 30 structural craft leaders from Portsmouth, Norfolk, Puget Sound and Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyards met at Newport News Shipbuilding to share best practices.
D&I In The News
- “Before She Refused to Give Up Her Seat, Rosa Parks Had a Long History as a Voting Rights Activist.” Read the article from Time
- “5 Steps To Shake The Feeling That You’re An Impostor.” Read the article from NPR
- “Company Culture Is Everyone’s Responsibility.” Read the article from Harvard Business Review
- “Why Your Values Belong at Work.” Read the article from Harvard Business Review.
- “The Forgotten Dimension of Diversity.” Read the article from Harvard Business Review.
- “Research: How Americans’ Biases Are Changing (Or Not) Over Time.” Read the article from Harvard Business Review.
- “Leading With Trust.” Read the article from Harvard Business Review.
- “What Men Can Do To Be Better Mentors and Sponsors To Women.” Read the article from Harvard Business Review.
- “How Reverse Mentoring Can Lead To More Equitable Workplaces.” Read the article from Stanford Social Innovation Review.
- “Generational Differences At Work Are Small. Thinking They’re Big Affects Our Behavior.” Read the article from Harvard Business Review.
- “Think Differently: 3 Ways To Build Cognitive Diversity In The Workplace.” Read the article from Workforce.
- “11 Ways To Support Gender Diversity In The Workplace.” Read the article from Performing Arts Hub.
- “Privileged.” Read the article by Utah Jazz player Kyle Korver in The Players’ Tribune.
- “What To Do After An Uncomfortable Conversation With A Coworker.” Read the article from Harvard Business Review.
- “Number of Female Generals, Admirals Has Doubled Since 2000, Report Finds.” Read the article from Military.com.
- “They Were Raised To Be ‘Colorblind’ — But Now More White Parents Are Learning To Talk About Race.” Read the article from Washington Post.
- “Solving Tech’s Stubborn Diversity Gaps.” Read the article from Tech Crunch.
- “How This Training Helped Male Executives Confront Their Privilege and Bias.” Read the article from Fast Company.
- “5 Ways Bosses Can Reduce The Stigma Of Mental Health At Work.” Read the article from Harvard Business Review.
- “Wisdom At Work: Why The Modern Elder Is Relevant.” Read the article from [email protected].
- “4 Ways To Expand Inclusion Of People With Disabilities.” Read the article from The SHRM Blog.
- “Survey: What Diversity And Inclusion Policies Do Employees Actually Want?” Read the article from Harvard Business Review.
- “#MeToo, Fear, And The Future Of Women’s Leadership.” Read the article from Forbes.
- “Finding The Why In Diversity And Inclusion.” Read the article from Forbes.
- “Stop Counting Women: Quotas And Tallies Won’t Bring Real Progress On Gender Parity.” Read the article from The New York Times.
- “How Women Took Over The Military Industrial Complex.” Read the article from Politico.
- “What’s In Store For Corporate Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in 2019?” Read the article from Medium.
HII’s Workforce In The News
AARP recently featured HII in its study on intergenerational workforces. Read the blog post
VERG at Newport News participated in the Wreaths Across America (WAA) ceremony.
Ingalls representatives attended the Human Rights Campaign’s Business Summit.
SHIPS Network at Newport News hosted a 2016 Shutdown Social to celebrate a successful year of increased membership.
The articles and content shared on this page are not necessarily the opinions or beliefs of Huntington Ingalls Industries. The articles and content are provided for the purpose of generating consideration and discussion.