HII is a global engineering and defense technologies provider. With a 135-year history of trusted partnerships in advancing U.S. national security, HII delivers critical capabilities ranging from the most powerful and survivable naval ships ever built, to unmanned systems, ISR and AI/ML analytics. HII leads the industry in mission-driven solutions that support and enable a networked, all-domain force. Headquartered in Virginia, HII’s skilled workforce is 44,000 strong.
- Builder of the most complex ships in the world for 135 years at Newport News, and 83 years at Ingalls.
- Sole builder of U.S. Navy aircraft carriers, the world’s largest warships, and one of two builders constructing nuclear-powered submarines.
- Exclusive provider of refueling services for nuclear-powered aircraft carriers, at the forefront of new ship technologies, specialized manufacturing capabilities and nuclear facility management.
- Largest industrial employer in Virginia and Mississippi, and an employer in Louisiana and Alabama.
- Largest supplier of U.S. Navy surface combatants – has built more than 70% of Navy fleet of warships.
- Builder-of-record for Aegis DDG 51 class of guided missile destroyers.
- Builder of record for the LHA 6 class large-deck amphibious ships and the sole builder of the Navy’s newest fleet of the San Antonio (LPD 17) class amphibious assault ships.
- Builder-of-record for the flagship of the U.S. Coast Guard – the National Security Cutter.
- Provider of mission critical and practical solutions to a wide variety of government and commercial customers worldwide through Technical Solutions.
- Provider of advanced unmanned maritime solutions for defense, marine research and commercial applications
- Next-generation enterprise IT and C51SR
- Management and operations of Department of Energy nuclear sites
- Fleet sustainment
- Employs approximately 8,000 engineers and designers.
Download & Print Fact Sheets
Huntington Ingalls Industries Facts Updated Jan. 4, 2022
Ingalls Shipbuilding Facts Updated Jan. 4, 2022
Newport News Shipbuilding Facts Updated Jan. 4, 2022
Technical Solutions Facts Updated Jan. 4, 2022
“We want to disrupt ourselves before anyone else has the chance,” said Mike Petters, HII vice chairman of the board. HII has a transformation strategy to capture efficiencies and synergies across the enterprise with specific focus on the material value stream, technology and digital strategy. The transformation effort empowers employees across the enterprise to change their jobs for the better.